You, too, can support health, education and/or opportunity in the rainforests of Guatemala.
We value your help and would love to share our world with you!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Globe Aware for specific information
or e-mail Globe Aware at
VOLUNTEER IN HEALTH:
The Ix-Canaan Clinic, laboratory and pharmacy is available for Health Professionals to practice their specialty. This could be doctors, nurses, midwives, acupuncturists, massage therapists, pharmacists, dentists, optometrists or professionals practicing any other healing modality.
Level of Spanish required: Intermediate to Advanced (a translator is available to hire by the day for those whose Spanish skills are not sufficient)
STUDENT GROUPS (Spring-Break, Pre-Med, Nursing, General Studies):
Project Ix-Canaan tailors specific programs, based on understanding the challenges of rural jungle living (health, education, home life), for groups of students who want to expand their horizons. These programs are a balance of Ecological, Archeological and Social experiences that will include:
– working on various health programs through the Ix-Canaan Clinic/Lab, like the Diabetes Program, a Well-Baby Clinic, or the Distillation of Essential Oils Program.
– an herb walk and demonstration of healing arts with the local Mayan Healer / Midwife
– a visit to the area Puesto de Salud (Health Centre) to find out about government health programs
Time is allotted during the week for a day trip to Flores, combined with the Actun Kan Caves and the Zoo, and an afternoon experiencing the Ruta del Mono Canopy Tour, as well as a full day in Tikal.
Project Ix-Canaan has been working with Dentistry for All for the last several years and together, we are planning a long-term solution to the dental problems facing this area. Interested Dental volunteers can contact Dentistry for All at http://www.dentistryforall.org/ to learn more about this valuable volunteer program and to apply to volunteer in Guatemala. Level of Spanish required: Beginner
VOLUNTEER IN EDUCATION:
At the Ix-Canaan Library, you can work with a group of 5 to 12 year old for 2 to 3 hour afternoon sessions that can include English, art work, music, games, reading, playground time, neighborhood cleanup, or any other activity that you would like to do with them. You would be working with Alex, who oversees library activities and Margo, a volunteer who lives here. Level of Spanish required: Beginner.
At the N.U.F.E.D. Academy, a technical institute for grades 7, 8 and 9, you can work with adolescents who are interested in learning a variety of life skills. You could teach English (the most important and most valued of all subjects), cooking, gardening, motorcycle repair, nail art, sports or whatever you love yourself. You would be working with the 4-person teaching staff of the school. Level of Spanish required: Intermediate (translator available to hire by the day if needed).
OR, you can develop a program to teach a favorite subject or craft to a group of whatever age you choose through the Ix-Canaan Library.
VOLUNTEER WITH MAYAN WOMEN’S GROUP IN PETEN GUATEMALA
Work with one or all of the three Women’s Groups in the village to help them achieve their goals. Their main project is horticultural … Square Foot Gardening and their Forest Garden. Attend their meetings to understand more about the challenges they face and their proposals to meet these challenges. Level of Spanish required: Intermediate to Advanced
To develop a wedding and event center on current property!!
VOLUNTEER IN INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
1. Cement Floor Program: Many of our neighbors have houses with dirt floors and small children who are repeatedly infected with parasites and diseases because they have no clean place to crawl and play. You will work with the owner of the house to help him put in a 12 meter square cement floor in the area that he chooses. The cost of each floor is $150 (which includes the hiring of a local cement worker to oversee the job). The volunteer is welcome to fund and build as many floors as he is able.
2. N.U.F.E.D. Academy, is under off-and-on construction … ask through Project Ix-Canaan when they are working on projects.
16 Comments »
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.