To support the changes necessary, through Health, Education and Opportunity, to enable a people to become truly IX-CANAAN, (a Mayan word for “Guardians of the Rainforest”).
COMPLETE PROJECT IX-CANAAN PROPOSAL (click here)
Project Ix-canaan is based in El Remate, Peten, Guatemala, a small lakeside community, located midway between the International Airport in Flores and the ancient Mayan ruins of Tikal (30 km.)
- Project Ix-canaan began in August 1995 in a small lakeside building loaned by a local resident.
- In late 1996, Eduardo Cofiño purchased over 2 manzanas of land for ongoing development of Project Ix-canaan.
- In 1999, the funding for the present clinic building was donated by the Rice Millers Association of Guatemala, and the Grand Opening was held in February, 2000.
- In February of 2004, a new building to house the Ix-canaan Library & Computer Center was funded by Friends of Ix-canaan from Calgary, Alberta.
- In January of 2005, a group of village women, under the direction of Global Coalition for Peace, began learning techniques of Square Foot Gardening and composting, to improve general nutrition and to prepare to teach gardening in other villages.
- In 2007, Friends of Ix-canaan and the Wild Rose Foundation, under the coordination of the Ayudamos Foundation, funded the new Ix-canaan Women’s Center.
- In November of 2007, AGAT Labs of Calgary, Alberta funded a laboratory in the middle section of the Clinic Building where many basic tests can now be done to diagnose patients.
FOUR FACETS OF DEVELOPMENT
1. Medical Clinic, staffed by Dr. Enrique Chapeton, provides:
- Education in Health
- General Care and Treatment
- Minor Surgery
2. Library & Computer Centre, through classes run by volunteers and local teachers alike, provides the community with:
3. Ix-canaan Women’s Centre provides the opportunity for:
- Classes, workshops and seminars
- Group manufacture and sales of ecological rainforest products
- Celebrating, Dancing, Singing, Story Telling
- Family Development
4. Research Center
- Research into the value of the Seeds of the Trees of the Jungle
- Scientific Publications
- Marketing of Natural Resources